You’re boring and overweight. I know this because you, dear reader, are just like me – that’s why we get along so well. So let’s work on this together.
Steve Kamb (Blog – @SteveKamb), on the other hand, is interesting and fit. I know this because his blog is named NerdFitness.com, his arms are the size of my legs (but not in that gross Ahnold way), and he’s living one of the most interesting lives I’ve seen.
Steve turned his life into an adventure game – Steve’s Epic Quest of Awesome. He’s built levels for himself, and he’s tracking his progress. Here’s the five quests from Level 3:
- Visit Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland – Completed 8/9/11
- Be a guest speaker at Google – Completed 6/1/11
- Visit the Great Wall of China – Completed 5/20/11
- Rock climb the cliffs of Thailand – Completed 5/6/11
- Visit Angkor Wat – Completed 4/29/11
Alright, readers, let’s do this. You, me, and Steve.
You don’t have to do the health stuff. (Note that this blog wasn’t titled “Why You’ll Be More Interesting And Less Fat Next Year.”) I’m not trying to get you to aim high – I’m just trying to get you to aim, period. I invite you to join me in building a Life Quest for yourself, too. Here’s mine.
Your Life Quest doesn’t have to be public, but at least take ten minutes today – right now – to start writing down what you want to accomplish in your life. Don’t try to organize your dreams into a linear project plan, because that’s not how life works. Just make a list of all the cool boxes you’d like to check off someday, and let’s work together to check your boxes off.
I’ll be working towards mine right here in public, and you’ll be able to celebrate my joys with me. If they’re your joys too, I’d love to celebrate them together – that’s exactly how we did #SQLRun, the Portland Half Marathon. Several of us joined together and ran it (at different speeds, and of course I was last!) and that made the event so much more meaningful.
My next quest: visiting Tokyo in 2012. Sometime in the second half of 2012, I’d like to spend two weeks in Japan: one week in Tokyo, and one week seeing other parts of the country. If you’d like to join me for one of the weeks, leave a comment and let’s figure out how we’re going to do this together.
My next quest to help with: sponsor Yanni’s quest. Yanni Robel is a dear friend of mine, fellow #SQLRun half-marathoner, and survivor. She loved the half-marathon so much that she’s doing the Disney Coast-to-Coast Challenge – a full marathon at Disneyworld FL on January 8th followed by the half-marathon at Disneyland CA on January 29th.
Here’s what I need you to do right now:
- Read Steve Kamb’s Epic Life Quest (and if you find him as inspiring as I do, follow @SteveKamb)
- Read my Life Quest for ideas
- Take ten minutes today to start writing down your Life Quest
- Go sponsor Yanni’s quest – it’s the donate form on the right side of that page. Even $5 helps.
- And finally, tell a friend about this Epic Life Quest thing. Time is so short. I’m dealing with catastrophic illness in my family, and every week reminds me of how little time we’ve all got left. Let’s do this together!